Re: Is something wrong to XGL, Compiz, Cgwd be packaged?

On Fri, Oct 27, 2006 at 11:23:27PM +1000, Paul TBBle Hampson wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 25, 2006 at 08:50:50PM -0300, eduardo.oliva barruzi wrote:
> > Hi, I just wanna know if there are any problems regarding the License or
> > something else that make these packages actually unavailable?

Neither has license issues, but Xgl is problematic for various reasons. I
believe that AIGLX is the way forward and we have significant upstream
support for AIGLX that doesn't really exist for Xgl. Once ATI finishes
adding support for t-f-p in fglrx, this won't be an issue any more.

Compiz, as stated elsewhere, is already in, and we're planning to ship it
with Etch though not as the default Debian wm. I'd like to work on making
it a possible default wm for etch+1 if the necessary integrative work can
be done, but that's for a later date.

> Given you're talking about cgwd, you prolly mean beryl (nee
> compiz-quinnstorm) rather than the original compiz which is
> in Debian.
>
> The beryl packaging is being undertaken by the X Strike Force, who're
> also maintianing the compiz packages. So no problem yet, you're better
> of reading the debian-x list archives to discover why it's not shipped
> yet. (I believe they're doing an internal code-freeze for Etch, but I
> dunno if Beryl's in that freeze or not)

You're right about the internal code freeze, although I think beryl should
probably go in to unstable so we can start getting the packages out there.
According to Shawn, who's maintaining it for us, it's not stable enough to
release with Etch though, so seeing it there is pretty well out of the
question. The current set of beryl packages are in good shape, and are
sitting in our svn repo, although shawn hasn't finished packaging emerald
yet, which appears to be the missing piece.

> As for cgwd, I presume that also became something in the beryl
> packages (beryl-manager?) and so is being packaged as part of the
> beryl packaging.

I don't know what cgwd is either, but I don't follow beryl at all at this
point, so I rely on Shawn to teach me those new acronyms. :-)

 - David Nusinow