Re: Bug mass filling

On Sun, Oct 22, 2006 at 10:48:26PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:

> I don't think using any non-POSIX feature should be a policy violation,
> probably.  There are some that are in such widespread use and are
> supported by all shells that weren't written specifically as test suites
> that I think it's worthwhile making an exception for them.  But using
> general bash features in /bin/sh scripts really do break real systems.

How about instead of speaking about POSIX, policy should just list the
shells that are officially supported as /bin/sh? There is no need
listing every shell, just a representative subset: bash (obviously),
dash (it's popular) and an other "minimalistic" shell (posh?) to prevent
allowing everything & the kitchen sink if dash starts to rapidly acquire
new features.

If a maintainer script does not work with a shell on the list -> serious
bug, if it does not work with some other shell -> wishlist bug.

Gabor

                Hungarian Academy of Sciences