Re: Bug mass filling

On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 06:27:24 +1000, Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> said:

> On Fri, Oct 20, 2006 at 04:06:05AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> > Even then, it's only "serious" if it violates the release policy
>> > [http://release.debian.org/etch_rc_policy.txt]. Hence the reason
>> > that
>> No. A bug may be serious and yet not RC, as I understand it.

> That's not correct. [serious, grave, and critical] are the "release
> critical" severities, though some release critical issues won't be
> fixed for any given release, due to either being not known about or
> understood (ie, not filed at all, or not given the appropriate
> severity or attention), or given a specific exemption by the release
> team ("etch-ignore").

        So riddle me this: currently, policy states that violating a
 "must" or "required" directive in policy is a serious bug; which
 seems to fly in the face of the release process having appropriated
 the "serious" severity.

        Are we removing the policy that violations of policy
 requirements are serious bugs?  Is there new guidance on what policy
 violation bug severities ought to be?  Are such bugs to be filed
 under "normal"? Or "important"?

        My understanding, which seems to be flawed, was policy
 violations were taken seriously (heh),  and policy violation meant to
 be ignored for a release were granted special dispensation (remained
 serious, but were exempt).

        If this is not the case, we should change the policy, and drop
 any reference to bug severities for packages violating policy.
 Personally, think that is not a good idea, since adherence to
 technical policy seems to be the underpinning of the high quality of
 implementation we always had, but perhaps my mileage has varied.

        manoj
--
The happiest time of a person's life is after his first
divorce. J.K. Galbraith