Re: New source package

On Thu, Oct 19, 2006 at 09:47:10AM +0100, David Moore wrote:
>  Hi,
>
> I have developed some new software, an audioscrobbler client for _l_a_s_t_._f_m, which
> I would
> like to see included, probably under Multimedia.
>
> It consists of two simple C source files - how do I go about getting it
> included
> in Debian?
>
> Cheers,
Hi David,
In the Debian Bug tracking system, there is a pseudo-package[0] call
wnpp[1] that you file a ITP 'bug' (Intent to Package) against which
states your intention to create a Debian package. If you are not a
Debian Developer, you will need a 'sponsor' for your package. This
person will inspect your package for numerous things including trojans,
bugs, and Debian policy violation. If its OK, that person will upload it
into the 'incoming' server[2] where it will propagate to the 'unstable'
branch of Debian. The easiest way to file a wnpp bug is to use the
Debian program 'reportbug' for your ITP. Fill in all the required
details or it will be rejected. Read the MAN pages for info. You should
check out the Debian Developer subsite[3] and start by reading the
Debian new maintainers guide[4]. You should also read the Debian developers
reference and Debian policy manual for complete detains on how to create
a Debian package up to Debian Standards. You can join the debian-mentors
list for help with creating a Debian package. Also, when you create your
ITP, folks may question the need for the package for various reasons
like:
are you sure the license is DFSG free?
is there already a similar program in Debian?
if so, why do we need this one?
Could you add it to an existing package, if its a small program?

Don't be discouraged if you are asked, as folks want to make sure that
software in Debian is not simply a one-line shell script or the 24th
version of vi. And if you are really brave and patient, you can join the
Debian new maintainer queue and join the ranks as a voting member of
Debian.
here's to seeing your package in Debian!
Kev

[0] http://www.debian.org/Bugs/pseudo-packages
[1] http://bts.debian.org/wnpp
[2] http://incoming.debian.org