Re: anticipating the upstart migration

Gabor Gombas wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 09, 2006 at 01:44:00AM +0200, Michael Biebl wrote:
>
>> We don't really need the ability to install *multiple* init systems in
>> parallel imho
>
> Yes we do, for the same reason we allow multiple kernel images to be
> installed simultaneously: if the new one does not work, there should be

The kernel is different.
First, they are no conflicting binaries.
Second, the feature set of init is very limited and controlled by the
package maintainer whereas the kernel is much more complex. You can
never know if a user messes up it's .config and e.g. forgets to compile
in the root fs driver.

> a way to boot with the old version to fix things up. Especially if you
> want testers. There's no way I'm personally going to try upstart if I
> see no easy way ('easy' means adding a kernel parameter in the grub
> menu, but definitely no rescue CD or such) to go back to sysvinit in
> case the system fails to boot.

init=/bin/sh?

I know it's not a complete rescue mode, but you'd still be able to boot
the system, mount / rw and fix the problem.

Cheers,
Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?