Re: anticipating the upstart migration

On Mon, Oct 09, 2006 at 01:44:00AM +0200, Michael Biebl wrote:

> We don't really need the ability to install *multiple* init systems in
> parallel imho

Yes we do, for the same reason we allow multiple kernel images to be
installed simultaneously: if the new one does not work, there should be
a way to boot with the old version to fix things up. Especially if you
want testers. There's no way I'm personally going to try upstart if I
see no easy way ('easy' means adding a kernel parameter in the grub
menu, but definitely no rescue CD or such) to go back to sysvinit in
case the system fails to boot.

                Hungarian Academy of Sciences