Re: A plan to get rid of unnecessary package dependencies

On Wed, Sep 27, 2006 at 10:54:34AM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> > I'm not sure where to put it inside the -dev package though, perhaps
> > in an /usr/share/debhelper/stripdeps/<pkgname> file?
>
> Well, if we're talking about an external tool to strip unnecessary NEEDED
> entries from the library, you could call it dh_striplibs, include it in
> debhelper, and have the opt-in system be whether the maintainer chooses to
> run it or not.

That's what I was thinking of.

> That doesn't help the folks who aren't using debhelper as
> much, though.

We could also put the flags in another location then under
/usr/share/debhelper (or into the control tarball, though that
sounds cumbersome), so other build systems could use it too.

Ideas where to put such a thing?

Cheers,
Christian Aichinger