Re: A plan to get rid of unnecessary package dependencies

On Mon, Sep 25, 2006 at 11:12:49PM -0700, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> Hey.  If we have a programmatic way of detecting this cases, why not
> just fold that into the shlibdeps program, and be done with it?

As pointed out by Russ Allbery, shlibdeps wouldn't do. It would be
possible to stuff it into dh_strip or a new debhelper script, which
just removes the unnecessary NEEDED entries.

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 10:39:29 +0200, Gabor Gombas wrote:
> Note that if a shared object has constructor and/or destructor functions
> then there is NO WAY to automatically decide if it is needed or not,
> even if it does not even provide exported symbols.

That's one major problem, which is also the reason why I haven't
implemented a dh_ script.

AIUI the number of libraries using such tricks is minor, so it
is unnerving that we can't use the dh_ method because of that. I
don't see any solution though :-/

Cheers,
Christian Aichinger