Re: Desktop task(sel) in Etch? (Bug #389092)

On 9/26/06, Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com> wrote:

[Christoph Haas]
> Currently the way to install KDE is to provide the option
> "tasksel/first=kde-desktop" when booting the Etch installer CD. No
> user will guess that.

Ah, is that how it is done.  Thank you for the clue.  It should be
mentioned in the documentation available on F2-10 when the CD boot.

I agree with the documentation bit, but as i said it will be possible
use 'tasks=kde-desktop' in d-i etch rc1.

In Debian Edu, we use KDE.  The choice was mostly because of the
availability of translation for the languages we care about, but also
because the KDE tools were (and are) very good and well integrated.

Perhaps someone should wrap up a separate set of CDs with KDE as the
default desktop?  It should not be too hard.  Debian/Gnome and
Debian/KDE could exist side by side.

FYI, the three current desktop tasks (desktop, gnome-desktop,
kde-desktop) won't fit entirely in the first CD. They fit in DVD1
though. My proposal is generate:

Debian GNOME Desktop CD (installs by default desktop and gnome-desktop tasks)
Debian KDE Desktop CD (installs by default desktop and kde-desktop tasks)
Debian XFCE Desktop CD (xfce-desktop wasn't added yet but is in my
tasksel' branch)
Debian regular CDs
Debian regular DVDs

Do we need more than just work on debian-cd for this?

I can perfectly understand the d-i and debian-cd teams unwillingness
to dive into the desktop selection discussion.  But on the other hand
one is already taking side in the discussion by keeping gnome as the
default.

I can't understand how people ignored the discussion and the work that
has being done in the desktop underground of the project ! You're
still free to read or ignore my blog posts and follow debian-desktop
mailing list.

Anyway, I believe the users of KDE need to work on improving the
default KDE desktop and make it easily available (for example by
making a KDE version of the Debian CD), and then let the users choose
which desktop they prefer.

They're free to do that. Your point is that it will be harder to
install KDE desktop than GNOME desktop, stop arguing about freedom
here please.

> What I would expect at least: Rename the task from "Desktop" to
> "Desktop (Gnome)" so more experienced users know what's coming up.

Good idea.

I disagree as i explained in my previous message.

> What I would prefer: Tasks for Gnome, KDE and optionally Xfce (for
> the less resource-fortunate).

I believe it is a bad idea to increase the cognitive strain on new
users by adding more options to the task lists.  Most new users do not
have any opinion, and should thus not be forced to choose between
Gnome and KDE.  They rightfully expect us to choose for them, and we
should.  Though I am unhappy with the Gnome choice selected by the
tasksel maintainer, I agree that such choice must be made for the
default installation system, to avoid confusing new users
unnecessarily.

Well said.

regards,
-- stratus