Re: XS-X-Vcs-XXX field not (yet) announced

On Sat, Sep 23, 2006 at 05:20:01PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>         Before we go on statndardizing it and writing coed to make
>  part of of infrastructure do stuff with it, can we have a clear idea
>  of the semantics of the field?
>
>         As I currently understand it, the format is
> XS-VCS-XXX: $TAG:${URL}
>
>         Isn't XXX duplicating the effect of $TAG? And what meaning is

No, because the format is parsed as

  XS-VCS-XXX: ${URL}

$TAG is not distinguished, it's the scheme of URL. In svn it *can* be
svn://. For other vcs it does not necessarily match the tag of the vcs:

  zack@aquarium:~$ apt-cache showsrc amule | grep -i vcs

>  ascribed to the $URL? Is it something that shall show up in PTS
>  pages, and points to a web page that details how to get the sources?

The proposed meaning is: a URL meaningful for the given VCS so that a
user seeing it is able to find the source code.

>         If the ${URL}  part is supposed to have enough informnation
>  for automated downloads, then I  POSIT that a single URL may not be
>  enough; and this should be documented (only specific VCS layouts are
>  amenable to a single-url-contains enough information to download the
>  package sources).

Ok, we should document it.

Cheers.