Re: XS-X-Vcs-XXX field not (yet) announced

On Fri, Sep 22, 2006 at 04:18:56PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> As far as using this field for svn repos, I assume that it should be to
> an anonymous-friendly version of the repo if possible (svn:// not
> svn+ssh://). Should it link to the trunk, rather than the head of the
> repo? I think so and that's how your example gives it.

Totally agreed, that's precisely my examples have svn://. Still, the
drawback of this is that with svn you can just right click on a terminal
and "open link", but I'm convinced this is a flaw in our browsing tool,
I feel the svn:// url scheme is the right one for that.

> As to it being an XS- field, dpkg-dev doesn't warn at all about building
> packages with such a field (unlike an XB- field), so I don't really
> care, although it seems it would be better to lose the XS- if possible.

Note that we were more discussing about losing the X- part (for the
records, a sample field is "XS-X-Vcs-Svn"), which in my mind is the part
representing the non officialness of the field.

I don't know at all if it's possible to remove the XS- part. I don't
really care on the PTS side, but I suspect it wont get in the Sources
file without the XS- prefix. Am I wrong? Request for help on this ...

> Have you thought at all about automated systems that could be built on
> top of this? Things like a repo browser that can browse (and find
> recent changes in) all packages, or mirrors of repos that arn't hosted
> at svn.debian.org, or what have you.

I haven't yet thought about going that far, but they are all ideas which
are whetting my appetite :-)

Cheers.