Re: XS-X-Vcs-XXX field not (yet) announced

On Fri, Sep 22, 2006 at 06:39:35PM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 22, 2006 at 11:17:56AM -0500, John Goerzen wrote:
> > This is an *excellent* idea, but a terrible way of introducing it.  Why
> > was it posted only on a blog, and not to -- at least -- debian-devel?
> >
> > I'm growing increasingly annoyed with things that are announced only on
> > blogs and not on the Debian developer mailing lists.  (I know it wasn't
> > you, but this is a general comment.)
>
> Please yell at me, I'm the responsible for that :-)

Well, now that you ask so nicely, I don't think I can ;-)

> As a general answer: posting to blogs is usually faster than the
> "proper" way to do things (in this case whishlist bug report + patch for
> the developers reference), that's why it is usually preferred. Of course
> this is ok only if followed by the "proper" way.

Well, I would suggest that a post to debian-devel or even d-d-a is
better than a blog post only.  There are so many posts on planet that,
even though I read it regularly, I probably miss half of them.

I hadn't even thought about the reference.  That's indeed a good way to
go, but the problem with doing that only is that existing developers
won't learn about it very quickly.

> Feel free to help in any way you want, writing a Wiki page for example,
> or being faster than me in submitting the whishlist bug report against
> the developer reference :-)

Does highlighting the topic on -devel count? ;-)

Thanks for doing this, BTW.

-- John