Re: Media players in Debian (was: new mplayer)

On 9/22/06, Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> wrote:
Le vendredi 22 septembre 2006 à 11:19 +0200, Bartosz Fenski aka fEnIo a
écrit :
> Mplayer comes with his friend mencoder. I doubt that koffeine, totem, xine,
> vlc have something to offer in that regard.

VLC does, and we also have ffmpeg for command-line encoding.

GStreamer in Debian currently doesn't support encoding, but it would
become possible if it was built against Debian's ffmpeg (which requires
quite some work).

I could never see a whole film using Totem or VLC (from Debian).
I do, with mplayer (from Marillat).
I think this is enough reason to include Mplayer in Debian.

Another reason is... lots of Debian users download mplayer from
Marillat or other sources (maybe Marillat may provide some stats)...
users are not stupid, if lots of them do an extra effort to get a
program which is not in Debian, you can be sure the program is better
in some way.