Re: Media players in Debian (was: new mplayer)

On Fri, Sep 22, 2006 at 11:12:10AM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> > I was wondering, what's so important about mplayer?  With totem and
> > vlc (and I anticipate there's something similar for KDE) you have
> > everything you need.
>
> I believe kaffeine is the totem equivalent for KDE.  And I agree, the
> tools in Debian are quite good, and I am not sure if mplayer have much
> extra to offer these days.  There is the question of libdvdcss2 (for
> DVD playing) and some codeces missing, but the situation is improving
> there too. :) There is also gnash, the flash player.  It is able to
> run quite a few flash files, but lack video support still.

Mplayer comes with his friend mencoder. I doubt that koffeine, totem, xine,
vlc have something to offer in that regard.

And if I can't play something with vlc I'm almost sure it's playable with
mplayer + w32codecs.

Yes, I know there won't be w32codecs package in Debian, but even mplayer
would be great addition.

regards
fEnIo

--
  ,''`.  Bartosz Fenski | mailto:fenio@debian.org | pgp:0x13fefc40 | irc:fEnIo
 : :' :       32-050 Skawina - Glowackiego 3/15 - malopolskie v. - Poland