Bashing rude users does not fix bugs they report.

Le Fri, Sep 01, 2006 at 11:36:15AM +0100, Jon Dowland a écrit :
> At 1156986534 past the epoch, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> > > to be fair with Mgr Tuharsky, I think that it is
> > > important to remind that the bug he is talking about in
> > > not affecting OpenOffice only, that it was introduced by
> > > a security update, and that for various reasons the fix
> > > takes months to be released, leaving users with a broken
> > > Sarge.
> >   ^^^^^
> > Do you mean Testing?
>
> A security update in sarge for a different package breaks
> OOo2 in some circumstances on Sarge. That is, if someone
> installs OOo2, which means fetching it from elsewhere
> (backports perhaps?) an unrelated security update will stop
> it working.
>
> Personally I think the DS team have enough work making sure
> security updates are a smooth process for packages *in the
> OS*: being expected to test random-external-package-x on top
> of that is asking too much.

Hi all,

here is a summary of what happened:

- A security update of Sarge broke programs, some being shipped in
  Sarge, some being installed by the users from other sources.

- The problem was quickly reported, and a fix was made.

- Unfortunately, it was not released during aproximately two months.

- A user complained on -devel.

- It was realised by the appropriate persons that the fix was forgetten
  for two months.

- The fixed was released in the last Sarge update.

People who tried to report through the bts that the bug was not fixed
were replied that it was, as they sent bugs to the package, not on the
security.debian.org pseudopackage.

Did the user who complained on -devel stay silent, it is possible that
the fix would still wait to be released. I think that it is unfair to
criticize him for having reported the problem as it appears that this is
what solved the problem for real at the user level.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
http://charles.plessy.org