Re: Problem sending to Alioth lists?

* Roberto C. Sanchez [Mon, 28 Aug 2006 02:10:22 -0400]:

> > Nope, that won't help. Knowing you use Mutt, and unless your MTA is
> > configured in a quite restrictive way, this should solve your problems:

> >   % echo set envelope_from=yes >>~/.muttrc

> That did it.  Now, care to explain why/how?

Provided that you understand the diference (hinted in my previous mail)
between the SMTP-level "MAIL FROM", a.k.a. "Envelope-From", and
headers-level "From" header, the answer is this:

  the default behavior is for /usr/lib/sendmail implementations to
  always use as Envelope-From `whoami`@`hostname`. If the user does not
  want this, they can invoke the sendmail binary like "sendmail -f
  desired_envelope_from@foo.com".

  If Mutt's $envelope_from is set, Mutt will use the "From: " as the
  desired envelope-from, and will tell so to sendmail with -f.

> Also, why is this not default?

My guess it's that it's not set by default upstream in order to retain
compatibility after introducing this option. As for Debian, I don't
recall any request to differ from upstream since I started reading mutt
BTS traffic; maybe there were some, earlier than that.

Cheers,

Adeodato Simó                                     dato at net.com.org.es
Debian Developer                                  adeodato at debian.org

Guy on cell: Yeah, I mean she's not easy to talk to, because, you know,
she'll be like, "What did you do this weekend?" and I'll say, "Nothing",
but really I was fucking some other girl.
                -- http://www.overheardinnewyork.com/archives/003179.html