Re: Why does Ubuntu have all the ideas?

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006, Russ Allbery wrote:
> We really need to put our heads together and come up with a good system
> for managing pre-built kernel modules for the kernels in Debian.  It's a
> much more widespread problem than just a question of free vs. non-free.
> It's possible to do right now, but it involves a ton of manual work by the
> maintainer every time the list of officially supported kernels changes,
> and pretty much every upload goes through NEW.  I think that to have a
> really good solution, we're going to need a larger plan that includes
> changes to the archive management software as well.
>
> I'd love to see this be a priority for etch+1.

There's already work being done in that direction, please check out with
the kernel team. AFAIK there's a "linux-modules-extra-" source package created to
auto-build all those modules.

And it's also something that I would love to see completed sooner rather
than later. I've hoping for something like that for years.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog