Re: Why does Ubuntu have all the ideas?

Sander Marechal <s.marechal@jejik.com> writes:
> Aaron M. Ucko wrote:
>> Sander Marechal <s.marechal@jejik.com> writes:

>>> I don't think Debian should do that, but perhaps the process to
>>> install them after the fact could be easier for people who are not
>>> full blown Linux admins?

>> Are you aware of module-assistant?

> Nope, but I was going off Bastian's comment that a lot of modules get
> shipped as source and need to be compiled. I use Ubuntu myself (plain
> Debian as a dev system and test system) so I already have the modules I
> need.

Note that Ubuntu doesn't build all the kernel modules either; Ubuntu users
have to build their own kernel modules for OpenAFS, for instance, just
like Debian users do.

We really need to put our heads together and come up with a good system
for managing pre-built kernel modules for the kernels in Debian.  It's a
much more widespread problem than just a question of free vs. non-free.
It's possible to do right now, but it involves a ton of manual work by the
maintainer every time the list of officially supported kernels changes,
and pretty much every upload goes through NEW.  I think that to have a
really good solution, we're going to need a larger plan that includes
changes to the archive management software as well.

I'd love to see this be a priority for etch+1.