Re: debconf and substitution of non-translated text

On Thu, Aug 24, 2006 at 11:41:11AM +0200, Christian Perrier wrote:
> But, if pkg=apache, this becomes:
>
> La configuration de apache sera modifiée.
>
> While it should be:
>
> La configuration d'apache sera modifiée.

True. But then, in most languages this can be worked around by using
different phrase constructions. For example, the above could be
formulated as

La configuration du paquet "${pkg}" sera modifiée.

Which would get you rid of the inflection (if I'm not mistaken; my
French has never been very good ;-)

Of course, this is a workaround, not a fix. It'd be nice if debconf were
to get ngettext, or something that works similar.

Oh well.

  -- #debian-devel, Freenode, 2004-09-22