Re: Status of inetd for etch

On 08/15/06 09:49:54AM +0200, Andreas Metzler wrote:
> Hello,
> This seems to be totally overengineered. Having MTA a provide sendmail
> which uses MTA b for remote deliveries is no common usage scenario on
> which any effort should be spent in the Debian packaging
> infrastructure.
>
> Actually the only sane explanation for wanting to install two MTAs I
> ever heard of was "I am running X now and want to switch to Y. - I'd like
> to test Y in the real system before going live."

I know of at least one firewall product that includes 2 copies of sendmail,
one for accepting messages from the Internet and one for processing and
sending them to the internal servers. They do this along with an RBAC
system like SELinux so that break into the network via sendmail is
virtually impossible since even if you break into the externally accessible
sendmail you can't go any farther. Whether Debian should work on making
this possible too or not, I can't say.

Jim.