Re: Status of inetd for etch

"Matthew R. Dempsky" <mrd@alkemio.org> writes:

> On Sat, Aug 12, 2006 at 10:21:50AM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
>> We don't allow multiple mtas because a mail-transport-agent is
>> *required* to provide /usr/sbin/sendmail.
>
> Why can Debian's alternatives system not alleviate this conflict?

It could be done that way.  The alternatives system provides the
needed functionality to link the commands and files, but there is
more.

These are thoughts and ramblings on now to have two MTAs on a
system. Let's call these the "system mta" and the "service mta".

* The "system mta" should provide /usr/sbin/sendmail, as well as
  mailq, runq, and man pages.  The alternative system is able to link
  several alternatives.

  We might want to add /usr/sbin/sendmail.system and
  /usr/sbin/sendmail.service, as well as corresponding mailq, runq,
  newaliases, man pages etcetera.

* The "service mta" should provide a listening socket, on one or more
  specified IP addresses.  I'm not sure if it's a good idea to bind to
  *:25.  The "system mta" might need to bind to 127.0.0.1:25.

* The "system mta" may use the "service mta" as a smarthost, mailhost,
  mail relay, or whatever you'd like to call it.

When installing an MTA on Debian, the administrator is prompted for an
installation profile, where "system mta" and "service mta" could be
added.

Problems:

Having the same MTA as both system and service MTA may not be trivial.

--
Stig Sandbeck Mathisen