Re: Status of inetd for etch

Stig Sandbeck Mathisen <ssm@debian.org> wrote:
[...]
> * The "system mta" should provide /usr/sbin/sendmail, as well as
>  mailq, runq, and man pages.  The alternative system is able to link
>  several alternatives.
[...]
> * The "service mta" should provide a listening socket, on one or more
>  specified IP addresses.  I'm not sure if it's a good idea to bind to
>  *:25.  The "system mta" might need to bind to 127.0.0.1:25.
[...]
> * The "system mta" may use the "service mta" as a smarthost, mailhost,
>  mail relay, or whatever you'd like to call it.
[...]

Hello,
This seems to be totally overengineered. Having MTA a provide sendmail
which uses MTA b for remote deliveries is no common usage scenario on
which any effort should be spent in the Debian packaging
infrastructure.

Actually the only sane explanation for wanting to install two MTAs I
ever heard of was "I am running X now and want to switch to Y. - I'd like
to test Y in the real system before going live."

cu andreas

[1] And this is non-negligable effort, MTAs require jumping through
special hoops for allowing to send on mail per SMTP to the same host.
--
The 'Galactic Cleaning' policy undertaken by Emperor Zhark is a personal
vision of the emperor's, and its inclusion in this work does not constitute