Re: Remove cdrtools

Adam Borowski <kilobyte@angband.pl> writes:
> Autotools do require you to do things the way they want, indeed.  And
> every single autotool uses a different obscure language.  Some
> consistency would be good -- but, I challenge you: write something
> that works better.  There's a lot of deficiencies in autotools, but
> everything so far is A LOT worse.

Yup.

The autotools also have the rather nice attribute that if there's any
pain involve, it's only on the part of the developer / distributor --
for the end user who just wants to compile and install the package,
usually everything works quite smoothly, without the necessity of
installing new obscure tools.

The implementation pecularities of autoconf / automake can indeed be
quite annoying at times, but the basic idea behind them is solid, and
ends up working pretty well if you use them the "right way".

-Miles
--
Is it true that nothing can be known?  If so how do we know this?  -Woody Allen