Re: Packaging software which does not use autotools

On 2006-08-14 22:33:49, Hendrik Sattler wrote:

Do you plan to support other system than linux in a fork? If no, there
Well, the software is already prepared to support *BSD, Solaris and Linux, but I only intent to support Linux - the only thing I use on a day to day basis.

absolutely no gain in using autotools.
Just note that using autotools can also be a major pain. Pkg-config
often is a
good step away from using autotools.

I does not require either autotools nor pkg-config because this is a server back-end with no other user input than from the command line. Second, the software does not require any library other than want comes with the must cut-down version of Debian:
$ ldd tptestserver
        linux-gate.so.1 =>  (0xffffe000)
        libc.so.6 => /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6 (0xa7e42000)
        /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xa7f9c000)

The reason for me to choose autotools is that this is what I do in all my other projects and have come to like it. Another reason is that the source needs some house cleaning and, in my opinion, some clearer structure.

Michael Rasmussen

Get my public GnuPG keys:
michael <at> rasmussen <dot> cc
mir <at> datanom <dot> net
mir <at> miras <dot> org
	We seem to be made to suffer. It's our lot in life.