Re: Status of inetd for etch

md@Linux.IT (Marco d'Itri) writes:

>> It would be good to get rid of inetd from the basic install at all.  Those
> No, it would not. UNIX systems are supposed to have an inetd installed.

I see no reason why *Debian* systems should have an inetd installed
unless there is another package installed requiring its services.
This can be handled through package dependencies.  If the admin wants
to add their own services (i.e. not installed by a dependency), they
can just install it by hand.

If there is nothing using inetd, it's just bloat in the base install.

While it's probably best to leave it installed by default for etch, I
think fixing up all inetd-using packages to have proper dependencies,
and then removing the dependency from netbase would be a worthy goal
for etch+1.

Regards,
Roger

--