Re: cdrtools

Goswin von Brederlow <brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> wrote:

> > If you don't know that you just need to use a clearly _different_ _name_
> > for such a fork, I can't help you. Read the preamble from the GPL
> > to understand your fault.
>
> So all we need to do to apeace you is to call is "debianrecord"?
>
> If that is all that is needed for you not to complain that we include
> unsupported dvd support and the like then that can easily be aranged.

This is really funny......

The oficial cdrecord _does_ support DVD writing.

Why do you like to first hide this feature from your users and then
later add broken DVD "support"?

> But then please just say so. The GPL alone does not require such a
> rename, only that "the modified files to carry prominent notices
> stating that you changed the files and the date of any change".

The GPL does not allow you to use the original name......

This is related to different things (trade mark right).

> You should just add a requirement for renaming the software instead of
> your invariant section and extra printing code requirement.

Note that the name "dvdrecord" is illegal too as this name is "too close"
to the name cdrecord and many people use the name "dvdrecord" for the newer
versions of cdrecord that include DVD writing although I did never mentioned
this name for my software.

Jörg

       js@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)