Re: cdrtools

Joerg Schilling <schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de> writes:

> Goswin von Brederlow <brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> wrote:
>
>> > If you don't know that you just need to use a clearly _different_ _name_
>> > for such a fork, I can't help you. Read the preamble from the GPL
>> > to understand your fault.
>>
>> So all we need to do to apeace you is to call is "debianrecord"?
>>
>> If that is all that is needed for you not to complain that we include
>> unsupported dvd support and the like then that can easily be aranged.
>
> This is really funny......
>
> The oficial cdrecord _does_ support DVD writing.
>
> Why do you like to first hide this feature from your users and then
> later add broken DVD "support"?

ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/ProDVD/README

NOTE: the DVD-recording drivers have been added to the OpenSource
      part on May 15th 2006 with cdrtools-2.01.01a09.

It is nice that you finaly made this free but it is a rather recent
change given:

   ********** NEW: On March 9th, we are celebrating 6 years of cdrecord-ProDVD

Sorry that I'm not totally up to date.

>> But then please just say so. The GPL alone does not require such a
>> rename, only that "the modified files to carry prominent notices
>> stating that you changed the files and the date of any change".
>
> The GPL does not allow you to use the original name......
>
> This is related to different things (trade mark right).

So you agree with me that it is not a GPL issue. If you have a trade
mark on cdrecord and want to enforce it that is your decision. But it
is not GPL related as you seem to claim in the source file.

>> You should just add a requirement for renaming the software instead of
>> your invariant section and extra printing code requirement.
>
> Note that the name "dvdrecord" is illegal too as this name is "too close"
> to the name cdrecord and many people use the name "dvdrecord" for the newer
> versions of cdrecord that include DVD writing although I did never mentioned
> this name for my software.

So is using IBM or Coca-Cola. What has that got to do with it?

> Jörg

MfG
        Goswin