Re: cdrtools

Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> wrote:

> Le lundi 07 août 2006 à 10:56 +0200, Joerg Schilling a écrit :
> > 	My software is definitely free and has no license problems.
>
> You may think so, but the Debian project doesn't. For example, a recent
> GR stated that invariant sections aren't acceptable for the specific
> GFDL case, and there is no reason why they would be acceptable for
> cdrecord. Furthermore, there are issues with the CDDL and currently no
> CDDL-licensed project has been accepted.

You are again trying to intentionally tell us untrue things about my software!

The Debian project accepted the clauses in cdrecord ~ 4 years ago.
The Debian people at that time _did_ know that the cdrecord source does not
contain invariant sections. You need of course chose a clearly different name
(e.g. kindergarten) instead of cdrecord in case you like to apply specific
changes....

And note: the CDDL is one of 9 preferred licenses:

http://www.crynwr.com/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi?3:mss:11636:200607:nknhhdligldemhkfbhpd

It has no problem with any of the DFSG requirements.

If you claim different things, you are obviously speading FUD and not
a serious discussion partner - sorry.

> All of this, without even taking into account your brain-dead licensing
> mix between CDDL and GPL - which are intentionally incompatible
> licenses, according to Sun guys.

If you are so braindead not to understand that this license combination
is perfectly OK, I cannot help you. It seems that I did waste already too much
time with you. A discussion only makes sense in case that the "other side"
is able/willing to understand simple explanataions...

> People from Debian are interested in building a free distribution, not
> in trolling with software authors crying out loud because they aren't
> able to understand how licenses work. We decide what's acceptable for
> our project, and you don't have a single word to say about that.

If this was true, why don't you talk with me with in a serious way but troll
instead?

> Indeed, you are not free to add whatever piece of crap to the Debian
> archive regardless of the license. Call it a non-free project if you
> want, but this would only look like a calumniation campaign against us.

If you continue to spread this kind of personal insults, _you_ are a person
that I don't like to talk with anymore in future.

I am sorry, but I cannot waste my time with trolls like you.

I am however still in hope that the Debian project is not full of trolls
but that there are reasonable people in Debian....

Jörg

       js@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)