Re: Centralized darcs

I demand that Matthew Palmer may or may not have written...

> On Sun, Aug 06, 2006 at 01:52:09PM +0100, Darren Salt wrote:
>> I demand that Matthew Palmer may or may not have written...
>>> I've given up on this thread, but I just have to say one thing:
>>> BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
>>> Easily.  Heh.  You should be a comedian.
>> Actually, yes, it *should* be easy: "debian/rules patch".

> I can't see any mention of that target in Policy. Am I looking at a badly
> outdated version?  (3.7.2.0, 2006-05-04).

I'd say not :-)

It seems like a reasonable "good practice" starting point to me, given that
"patch" and "unpatch" targets are present if the source package uses dpatch,
i.e. the rules file includes /usr/share/dpatch/dpatch.make.

> It also fails to work on a split-patch package I've been working on over
> the weekend (just to renew my hatred of such systems).  Should I be filing
> a serious bug against that package?

No. Wishlist at worst.

The one which *I* hate is the tarball-within-tarball one: whenever I've seen
that one (rarely), I've normally tried "debian/rules extract", watched it
fail, read the rules file, then grumbled about apparent non-obviousness of
target choice.

... actually, "debian/rules patch" fails on one package for which I recently
provided a patch. But it did provide the opportunity to have a brief look at
quilt...

[snip]
> Or are you, perhaps, taking the convention of a single patch management
> system and ass-u-ming that it works across the board, when it, most
> assuredly, does not?

Probably... but then I'm sure that whoever came up with "unpack" as a target
for extracting the files from a tarball ass-u-med that everybody else would
be thinking the same way. ;-)

Hee-haw, as they say.

[snip]
| + Buy less and make it last longer.         INDUSTRY CAUSES GLOBAL WARMING.

Avert misunderstanding by calm, poise, and balance.