Re: Centralized darcs

On Sat, Aug 05, 2006 at 11:38:39AM +0300, George Danchev wrote:
> In my opinon the root of the key differences is that with patch systems you
> can have it both ways:
> a) all chunks in one big diff
> b) chunks clearly separated by issue

> Obviously the patch system is an addition to the VCS, so one can live without
> the underlaying VCS used in a given case.

Huh? Storing patches on SCM is one of the issues that annoys *me*
about having a patch system in addition to VCS. This blows also
in the archeology sense. Comparing versions in VCS is harder
when you are actually looking at diffs of diffs.

> Seems like you will find clearly separated chunks useful sometimes.

Yes, however the fact that we have almost a dozen of different
patch systems (not including the package-specific NIH systems)
pretty much negates any potential advantage.

Having it either way, centralized SCM like Ubuntu or standardized
patch system like RPM would so much rule over the complete lack
of coherancy we have now..