Re: Centralized darcs

On Sun, Aug 06, 2006 at 01:52:09PM +0100, Darren Salt wrote:
> I demand that Matthew Palmer may or may not have written...
>
> > I've given up on this thread, but I just have to say one thing:
>
> > On Sat, Aug 05, 2006 at 11:38:39AM +0300, George Danchev wrote:
> >> `Hate patch systems' can easily apply all chunks and start
> > BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
>
> > Easily.  Heh.  You should be a comedian.
>
> Actually, yes, it *should* be easy: "debian/rules patch".

I can't see any mention of that target in Policy.  Am I looking at a badly
outdated version?  (3.7.2.0, 2006-05-04).  It also fails to work on a
split-patch package I've been working on over the weekend (just to renew my
hatred of such systems).  Should I be filing a serious bug against that
package?  Even the devref, s6.1, fails to make the slightest mention (let
alone recommendatation) as to a target to provide.  Even the two patch
systems it does mention don't provide a common interface to such a common
and necessary task.

Can you provide an authoritative reference which documents the universal
necessity of a patch target to debian/rules?  Or are you, perhaps, taking
the convention of a single patch management system and ass-u-ming that it
works across the board, when it, most assuredly, does not?

> Bwahahaha, as they say. :-)

Yep, I certainly do say that.

- Matt