Re: centralized bzr (Re: Successful and unsuccessful Debian development tools)

On Wed, 2006-08-02 at 22:29 +0200, Christoph Haas wrote:

> That's in fact an issue that made me feel sceptical about bzr, darcs
> and
> mercury. All of them require a shell account or some scripting through
> special mail address to commit changes. And it's not only the recent
> kernel vulnerability that makes me a happy repository user over
> WebDAV
> (hoping it's less vulnerable). And it works over a proxy, too.

Well, I dont know darcs well enough to argue there, but neither bzr nor
mercurial require a shell account nor scripting. bzr requires sftp
access *which can be granted without granting shell access*. mercurial
has a http cgi script that can be used to push commits.

bzr is also working on a high performance server at the moment, which
will operate over either a socketpair - i.e. tunnelling via ssh (which
can still be done without granting shell access), or over plain http via
an apache rewrite rule.

HTH,
Rob