Re: Centralized darcs

On Wednesday 02 August 2006 12:23, Thijs Kinkhorst wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-08-01 at 16:47 -0500, John Goerzen wrote:
> > I do use darcs to track patches against upstream.  I really don't
> > understand the whole cdbs/dpatch/whatever thing -- why use a hack to
> > manage your patches when you could use a real VC tool that does it
> > better?
>
> A patch system can be very convenient for the people who are not the
> maintainer of the package - if you fetch the source package from the
> archive you get all packages neatly separated and mostly with a
> description. It's then easy to extract a patch, disable a patch or add a
> new one, for example when NMU'ing.

True. The patch system extends distributed development even further ... beyond
the VCS (be any kind of). You can always have input from random people which
worths to be reviewed. These people need easy access to the debian source
package and what parts it has been assembled of.

> If I'm correct the source package won't display the changesets from your
> VC.

Unless someone steps forward and hack <VCS>2changelog.Debian utility(ies)
which automagically adds VCS log events on the top of debian/changelog
already being under VCS control in the first place ;-)

fingerprint 1AE7 7C66 0A26 5BFF DF22 5D55 1C57 0C89 0E4B D0AB