Re: Why does Ubuntu have all the ideas?

Em Fri, 28 Jul 2006 16:23:21 +0100
Steve Kemp <skx@debian.org> escreveu:

> >     Why does Ubuntu have to have
> >    all the great ideas for their users?  One example:  They have a
> > pop up telling you updates are ready.  Now maybe you now have this
> > feature,
>
>    Debian does have this feature.  (Package 'update-notifier'.)
>
>    I don't know offhand whether "they" had it first or "we" had it
>   first, and I don't think it matters terribly much.  Some packages
>   both distributions have in common (many!) and some start in one
>   and get shared to the other later.

They had it first and we worked together to 'utnubu' it into Debian, by
patching the underlying software (update-manager) to work with any
distribution, feature which has been kept in their last release.

My opinion about the whole issue:

I believe Debian has been and still is very innovative; then again,
Ubuntu had a very solid and mature base, so they could think about
stuff to put *above* that. I would not say the innovation they brought
is bigger than Debian's; they just focused their resources in a
different set of problems, which were only solvable, in some cases,
because of the good base Debianites have created so far (and in which we
put quite a bit effort simply for maintainance).

In the end of the day, it is still being a good thing for both, I
believe, as long as utnubu keeps happening as fast as ubuntunization of
Debian stuff. I enjoy having update-{manager,notifier}, even though I
use aptitude myself, it means my mother has a simpler way of updating
her Debian system at home. =)

See you,

--
Gustavo Noronha Silva <kov@debian.org>