Re: Why does Ubuntu have all the ideas?

On Jul 28, Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> wrote:

> "innovation" is the industy's current buzzword. Doing things well even
> if someone else had a similar idea before will outlive it.
We used to take pride in inventing stuff like update-alternatives which
solve long-time problems.

> Or do you really think that udev is a useless project? After all, all
> the innovation was done in devfs and hotplug.
The innovation in udev (with HAL, new kernel features and other stuff)
is allowing implementing new features which used to not be possible or
required very complex hacks.
There is a middle ground between useless and innovative, BTW.

--
ciao,
Marco