Re: package ownership in Debian (was: Why does Ubuntu have all the ideas?)

On 7/28/06, Fabio Tranchitella <kobold@debian.org> wrote:
Hi Pierre,
  please don't Cc me, I read this list. :)

Il giorno ven, 28/07/2006 alle 19.28 +0200, Pierre Habouzit ha scritto:
> and that won't happen because I'm not very keen on leraning yet another
> VCS, and that other's think the same, and that you will find poeple
> that never used svn or just can't use it, and poeple that never used
> bzr or don't like it , or ...

    I was talking about repositories, not a single monolithic
repository: you are free to use cvs, svn, monotone, bzr, darcs or
whatever else you prefer. If every developer would use a common server
for his repositories, it would be easier for the others to find and use
them.
(...)

I think we've two important points here:

* Are you working on the package foo ?

In a scenario when anybody or tons of people can upload the package foo, it's
necessary to tag somewhere that you're working on the package foo. Groups do it
using IRC or wiki articles today. We could do it using the NEWS in the
PTS. It won't
break the current groups approach since these groups can point the wiki articles
or irc channels for coordination there.

* Where are you working on the package foo ?

You could send the vcs information about the package to the PTS that would list
it in the web or answer it through a mail query. No central repository
of any vcs
is required.

regards,
-- stratus