Re: Why does Ubuntu have all the ideas?

On 7/28/06, Roger Leigh <rleigh@whinlatter.ukfsn.org> wrote:
John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org> writes:

> On Fri, Jul 28, 2006 at 07:22:11PM +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:
>> On Jul 28, Gustavo Franco <gustavorfranco@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Debian stopped innovating?
>> Yes. This should be obvious to people who joined the project before 2000.
>
> I'm one, and it's not obvious to me.
>
> Some things that have been done since I joined debian:

[...]
> Some of these are quite recent.

Agreed.  However, I do feel that some package maintainers are not
exercising enough thought about how their packages can better
integrate with the Debian system as a whole, as well as other related
packages.  As an example, there are many packages not registering
their documentation with doc-base, and doc-base itself could do with
some work on better supporting documentation formats other than HTML.

This is the QA work i talked about. List these packages, open bugs (take care
about mass bug filing) and coordinate the effort to patch them and/or do NMUs.

This kind of task takes time and isn't well documented on how to do from
scratch, but hopefully we will have another web tool (wotomae) coming to
help with this and other stuff.

regards,
-- stratus