Re: Why does Ubuntu have all the ideas?

On Jul 28, Simon Richter <Simon.Richter@hogyros.de> wrote:

> This is one of the cases where different interests come into play. A lot
> of modern hardware requires binary-only firmware to operate. A
Almost all modern hardware requires a binary-only firmware to operate,
but Debian decided that it's OK as long as these firmwares do not need
to be loaded every time the device is powered on so we can pretend that
they do not exist.
Does this help our users and/or free software? I don't think so.

> Debian cannot ship these, as it would violate the Social Contract. While
> this is a downside for end users, it is a big win for derivers, who do
> not need to evaluate all the licenses for the software they ship again,
> as all the necessary freedoms must be granted for a piece of software to
> be included at all.
Non sequitur. Most firmwares can be safely distributed by anybody.

And BTW I find interesting that some derived distributions switched
from Debian to Ubuntu. I wonder if this is a trend.

--
ciao,
Marco