Re: Why does Ubuntu have all the ideas?

On 7/28/06, Matt Zimmerman <mdz@ubuntu.com> wrote:
On Fri, Jul 28, 2006 at 10:46:57AM -0500, John Goerzen wrote:
> Debian is a project of volunteers.  I am a Debian volunteer.  I'm not
> going to write something just because you gripe at me about it.  I have
> no obligation to you.  I will work on things that are interesting to me.

Absolutely agreed.  One small addition though:

> Ubuntu has paid employees, which changes the equation entirely.

There are more than a few Debian developers who are employed to work on
Debian; they are simply less visible (and possibly more fragmented, working
for different organizations) than the developers who work for Canonical on
Ubuntu.

I agree, but while some Ubuntu employees work on the distribution
agenda, Debian has no clear agenda and these Debian developers working
on random companies follow their own way or the company roadmap, that
a lot of times involves custom Debian distributions development or
weird non integrated hacks fragmenting the efforts.

Ubuntu does a interesting job keeping the 'ecosystem' around while
Debian ignore or don't see it as a problem or something that needs
attention really.

regards,
-- stratus