Re: Self-conflicts and self-depends

Fabio Tranchitella <kobold@debian.org> writes:
> Il giorno lun, 24/07/2006 alle 23.22 +0100, martin f krafft ha scritto:
>> An upgrade is the same as removing the old and installing the new
>> package, so other than maintainer script invocations (which will
>> differ if the old package was removed because of a conflict),
>> I don't see a difference. Of course, dpkg wouldn't let you a package
>> if it created a conflict, so yeah... no point...

> If nobody disagree, I'll start filing bug reports for the packages
> listed in the first email of the thread and I'll bug lintian to add a
> check for this case.

lintian already checks for package relationships with itself, but
explicitly excludes Conflicts from that check.  The description is:

Tag: package-relation-with-self
Type: warning
Info: The package declares a relationship with itself.  This is not very
 useful, except in the case of a package Conflicting with itself, if its
 package name doubles as a virtual package.

So, are people sure this is not useful even if the package name doubles as
a virtual package?  It seems to me like it would be.  Or are people just
arguing that that case will never occur?