Re: how to deal with packages depending on mysql-server

On 7/25/06, Frank Küster <frank@debian.org> wrote:
An alternative would be to have a pseudo-package (or however we name it)
mysql-server-remote that a local admin installs to tell dpkg that it
should never install a local server.  I'm not sure this is a typical use
case, but the principle might be worth considering for more general use.

It is possible that you might want a local installation of mysql for
whatever reason (or any other database for that matter), yet still
want to use a remote installation for one or more packages on the
system.  The same argument can be made for postgresql and openldap as
well.

Personally I feel "Suggests" is fine.  At most such a package might
need to additionally and specifically state this requirement in
README.Debian.

The only other solution I can think of is a pseudo package that
depends on both mysql-server and wordpress, but I'm sure that approach
has problems of it's own.

regards,
Izak