Re: svn package maintenance

On Sun, Jul 23, 2006 at 01:06:28PM +0200, Marcus Better wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've recently started to use svn for package maintenance, both in order to
> enable team maintenance and because it's a great way to keep track of the
> code.
>
> Previously I used dpatch or quilt for the Debian changes. However with svn
> (or any other version control system) it really doesn't make sense to use
> that. The VCS is great at keeping track of changesets. Keeping patches in
> svn effectively circumvents the whole point of VCS. (This is probably
> obvious to anyone who has tried it, so I won't elaborate on it here.)

Entirely disagree.  Not only isn't it obvious, but IMO it's wrong :-)

> I'm now trying to replicate the advantages of quilt with svn. Some of these
> advantages are:

I replicate the advantages of quilt by keeping quilt patches in
Subversion.  This allows me to use svn-inject -o, which doesn't put
the upstream sources in version control at all - just the Debian
directory.

I like this much more than any alternative I've seen.  The same
principle as StGIT - I've never met a version control system whose
support for managing lots of individual patches all feeding into one
final result was as good as quilt.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery