Re: Getting rid of circular dependencies, stage 5

On Mon, Jul 24, 2006 at 05:15:19PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> You persist in using the word `fix'.  But that's not correct.  There
> is NOTHING WRONG with circular dependencies per se.
>
> Of course particular instances of circular dependencies might be
> problematic.  I would try to avoid it other than in closely coupled
> [...]

even if there was nothing wrong with circular deps per se (which i
doubt), there are still two points:

- if something causes enough problems and is not needed, just disallow
  it even if it might not cause problems in every single case. it's just
  not worth it. that's exactly what policy is about. many things in
  policy are about stuff that isn't a problem in all cases, but *might*
  cause problems
- apart from all the policy stuff: the dependency graph is highly
  complicated and this complexity causes problems in many tools, not
  only apt and dpkg, and also for people. reducing the complexity of the
  dependency tree *if it does not cost too much* is certainly a worthy
  goal that will pay off. removing circular dependencies is a way to
  reduce the complexity a lot that doesn't cost us anything

cu  robert

--
Robert Lemmen                               http://www.semistable.com