Re: Getting rid of circular dependencies, stage 5

"Manoj Srivastava" <srivasta@debian.org> wrote:
       I see you have not fully followed through on reading policy
here:
,----[ § 7.2 ]
| In case of circular dependencies, since installation or removal order
|      honoring the dependency order can't be established, dependency loops
| are broken at some random point, and some packages may not be able to
|      rely on their dependencies being present when being installed or
| removed, depending on which side of the break of the circular dependcy
|      loop they happen to be on.
`----

Well then policy contradicts iteself by failing to note this exception in the other location.

Clearly if dpkg really enforeced that, no circular dependecy would
ever work as the packages would be installed, but could not be
configured because a depencency was not configured.

       Clearly, dpkg authors have read all of policy, including the
caveats about circular dependencies.

Be that as it may, dpkg does not act as that part of policy indicates.
If there is an exception it really should be noted at that location, not someplace else.