Re: Getting rid of circular dependencies, stage 5

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 16:25:16 -0400, Joe Smith
<unknown_kev_cat@hotmail.com> said:

> "Manoj Srivastava" <srivasta@debian.org> wrote in message
> [🔎] 87mzb2hhji.fsf@glaurung.internal.golden-gryphon.com">news:[🔎] 87mzb2hhji.fsf@glaurung.internal.golden-gryphon.com...
>> On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 15:09:56 -0400, Joe Smith
>> <unknown_kev_cat@hotmail.com> said:
>>
>>> Well, strictly speaking all circular dependencies could be
>>> considered a policy violation because they depend on dpkg not
>>> working as policy states it does.
>>
>> Could you elaborate on this?
>>
>> manoj
> In the sense that you are abusing the terms of policy. It is true
> that dpkg will install and configure with circular dependecies, but
> Policy states "A package will not be configured unless all of the
> packages listed in its Depends field have been correctly
> configured."

        I see you have not fully followed through on reading policy
 here:

,----[ § 7.2 ]
`----

> Clearly if dpkg really enforeced that, no circular dependecy would
> ever work as the packages would be installed, but could not be
> configured because a depencency was not configured.

        Clearly, dpkg authors have read all of policy, including the
 caveats about circular dependencies.

> Depending on a package not acting in the manner in which policy
> states it will could be considered a type of policy violation.

        Except that that is not the case here.

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 22:15:18 +0200, Loïc Minier
<lool+debian@via.ecp.fr> said:

>  I think he meant that dpkg breaks the loop, and installs packages
>  despite their dependencies not being installed.

        Err, which is condoned by policy:

        manoj
--
You will pioneer the first Martian colony.