Re: greylisting on debian.org?

This one time, at band camp, Lionel Elie Mamane said:
> On Mon, Jul 10, 2006 at 06:28:40PM +0100, Stephen Gran wrote:
> > This one time, at band camp, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh said:

> >> And sets the envolope sender to what in the probe?
>
> > <>, hopefully.  Anything else is silly.
>
> Yes and no. An increasing number of sites refuse "bounces" (that is
> messages with null return-path) to some addresses that are known never
> to send mail. This breaks the procedure and is reacted by other sites
> by using a fixed "just-probing-here@their_domain" address, and mail to
> that address doesn't incur that check (but ends up in /dev/null or
> gets refused at DATA time).

When I find sites that are broken, I report them to dsn.rfc-ignorant.com,
and then others can use that as a whitelist or blacklist as they choose
for deciding what to do with callouts and the like.  I do refuse the
null sender to various role accounts that never send mail, but I don't
do it at RCPT TO time, only after the remote end has sent DATA.  This
allows callouts to work, but still blocks bounces resulting from joe
jobs and the like.

Take care,