Re: sending debian-private postings to gmail

On Tue, Jun 27, 2006 at 09:22:45PM +0100, Aigars Mahinovs wrote:
> Ian Jackson <ian@davenant.greenend.org.uk> said:
> > I'm one of the small minority of people who have a very negative
> > opinion about gmail.  I realise I'm a bit of a kook on this subject
> > and I'd ideally I'd like to avoid having an enormous flamewar about
> > it.

> > However, it has come to my attention that at least one developer
> > appears to be reading debian-private at their gmail account.

> I am one of those developers. I have never though that such action could
> be considered a violation of debian-private policy and some reasons for
> that have already been raised. In fact I do think that we should encrypt
> the postings to debian-private for both privacy and flamecontrol
> reasons. At this encryption stage headers of the messages should be
> stripped and only stored on the server. Only most important headers
> (like from, subject and date) would be embedded in the encrypted
> payload.

> Unless we go that far and realise such system, I see no reason to single
> out Google on the storage of the mail messages from debian-private.

I would expect developers to exercise the same judgement with regard to any
mail provider that they have reason to believe is analyzing mail for, or
delivering mail to, parties other than the intended recipient.

Google is singled out only in the sense that it's well-known, widely used,
and has a published policy of analyzing received mail for its advertisers.
If anything, it's commendable that Google has been open about the existence
of this practice, but I still share Ian's concern that it makes GMail an
unsuitable mail store for -private mail.