Re: sending debian-private postings to gmail

Ian Jackson <ian@davenant.greenend.org.uk> said:
> I'm one of the small minority of people who have a very negative
> opinion about gmail.  I realise I'm a bit of a kook on this subject
> and I'd ideally I'd like to avoid having an enormous flamewar about
> it.
>
> However, it has come to my attention that at least one developer
> appears to be reading debian-private at their gmail account.

I am one of those developers. I have never though that such action could
be considered a violation of debian-private policy and some reasons for
that have already been raised. In fact I do think that we should encrypt
the postings to debian-private for both privacy and flamecontrol
reasons. At this encryption stage headers of the messages should be
stripped and only stored on the server. Only most important headers
(like from, subject and date) would be embedded in the encrypted
payload.

Unless we go that far and realise such system, I see no reason to single
out Google on the storage of the mail messages from debian-private.

Currently GMail is the most trustable mail storage location that I have
available. And it is also the only location I do use - all my mail from
all other locations is redirected there. Even if I do redirect
debian-private mail to another place, that will simply mean that I will
stop reading it.

P.S. Please CC me, I am not on debian-devel.
--

Best regards,

   Aigars Mahinovs        mailto:aigarius@debian.org
 |     .''`.         Debian GNU/Linux              LAKA         |
 |    : :' :      http://www.debian.org  &  http://www.laka.lv  |