Re: make -j in Debian packages

On Wed, Jun 28, 2006 at 07:50:50PM +0300, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> ke, 2006-06-28 kello 18:43 +0200, Adam Borowski kirjoitti:
> > What do you think about going with Don Armstrong's suggestion
> > ($CONCURRENCY_LEVEL), while handling the default (no env var) my
> > way (decent memory => parallel, little memory => -j 1) instead of
> > Ingo's (-j 1 unless explicitely set)?
>
> I'm in favor of Ingo's approach. I don't think it is a good idea to
> hardcode assumptions of what is sufficient memory size into rules files;
> that's the kind of thing that is best done centrally.

Still, the buildd admin has no way to estimate how much a sub-process
of a package is going to use, the maintainer has at least a rough
idea.  Since the maintainer's action is needed anyway, he can as well
provide this estimate.
And then the buildd admin can set CONCURRENCY_LEVEL to 1 to centrally
disable any parallelism of this kind.

> (Also, any rules file snippet should be as simple as possible. Otherwise
> fixing it everywhere when a bug is found is going to be tedious.)

Exactly, or even better, it could be first debugged until it makes
everyone happy, then put into a common repository (debhelper?).  This
way, fixing a bug would require bothering just a single person.

--
1KB		// Microsoft corollary to Hanlon's razor:
		//	Never attribute to stupidity what can be