Re: severities of blocking bugs

On 14-Jun-06, 11:18 (CDT), Ian Jackson <ian@davenant.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

> Many (most?) maintainers use the BTS severity state to manage their
> worklist.  That is, the severity is a largley a note to themselves as
> to which order to do things in or what priority to give them.

So http://www.debian.org/Bugs/Developer#severities is no longer valid
and should be removed?

I doubt you're actually contending that, and what you're describing is
often defacto what happens (one tends to start at the top of the bug
list and work down by severity), but the severities *do* have defined
meanings, and in general should be used as such.

Conceptually, "priority" is NOT the same as "severity"; adding a
"wishlist" feature that would benefit many may be of more value and
thus higher priority than a "normal" bug that affects only a few and is
easily worked around.

There are many reasons not to mess with bug priorities on others
packages, but "it screws up my todo list" is not one of them.

Steve
--
Steve Greenland
    world.       -- seen on the net